In order to maintain compliance with University policies and all applicable federal and state laws, the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) must perform scheduled inspections of all animal housing rooms, surgical suites, and support spaces.
Inspections occur on a semi-annual basis and are conducted by members of the IACUC.
Several aspects of the facility, including but not limited to the following, are reviewed during inspections:
- Training of individuals in the laboratory
- The storage and expiration dates of pharmaceuticals
- Appropriate euthanasia methods
- Personnel and animal safety issues
- Appropriate record-keeping
- Ensuring that the number of animals procured, bred, and used do not exceed the number of animals listed on the approved protocol
- General laboratory maintenance
These, as well as U-M’s policies and guidelines pertaining to animal husbandry and facilities, should be reviewed prior to inspection to ensure that the facility meets or exceeds required standards.
- The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), a group responsible for inspecting and overseeing the use of certain animals in research and teaching, conducts inspections of U-M’s animal care and use facilities once per USDA fiscal year (October 1 – September 30). During the inspection, the Animal Care & Use Program Manager accompanies the USDA Inspector.
- Every three years, U-M’s entire Animal Care & Use Program is also reviewed by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC), a voluntary accreditation program. Part of this review process includes a week-long series of visits to animal areas by five or more prominent animal care and use experts from other peer institutions.
Additional details about how the Animal Care & Use Program is accredited are available on the Accreditation page.
References and Resources
If you have specific questions or concerns about animal facility inspections, or about how U-M’s Animal Care & Use Program is accredited, please contact the Animal Care & Use Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734) 763-8028.