The Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) will begin its next round of semi-annual facility inspections on Tuesday, February 7, 2023.
Inspections will run through March and include any animal rooms, surgical suite support spaces, and areas where procedures are conducted with animals.
On behalf of our IACUC members, we hope you join us in embracing the inspection process as an opportunity for further evaluation, assessment, and dialogue on the ways we can individually and collectively refine our practices in service to the animals entrusted to our care.
Inspection Notifications & Reminders
Inspection schedules and reminders will be sent to each PI/Study Team member based on the buildings/rooms on animal use protocol(s) in eRAM. Inspection notices and reminders are automatically sent by eRAM at 2-week and 4-day intervals leading up to the assigned inspection date.
When reviewing the schedule, please note that all facility inspections, including lab visits, will start as early as 8:30 AM.
Each ULAM-focused inspection will begin in SPF animal housing areas, though this may be altered if there are contaminations.
The following also applies:
- For inspections with a ULAM focus, only ULAM Husbandry Supervisors need to be present
- For inspections with a lab focus, having a Lab Representative present who is knowledgeable about the pertinent animal use is highly recommended
- During facility inspections, inspectors must be provided access to locked cabinets, drawers, and storage areas that store drugs and medical materials
We strongly encourage you to review the following tools and resources with your staff – including any students involved with research in your lab – to help prepare for inspections:
- Lessons Learned from Fall 2022 Semi-Annual Facility Inspections (website article)
- Are You Inspection Ready? Checklist (PDF download)
- Aquatics Facilities Checklist (PDF download)
Links marked with a lock icon can only be accessed using valid Level-1 U-M login credentials.