Established in 2019, the Excellence in Research Animal Care & Use Awards Program celebrates staff excellence in the humane care and use of animals within the University of Michigan (U-M) research community.
This annual awards program recognizes a member of each of the following:
- U-M Animal Care & Use Program — including the Animal Care & Use Office and the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, and the
- U-M animal research community**
Awardees will receive a $500.00 honorarium. Award winners will be announced later this year.
All nominations and nomination materials must be received by 5:00 PM on Friday, March 17th, 2023. Nominations should be submitted via the InfoReady Review website.
**A member or team in the U-M scientific community utilizing animal models for at least one year. This includes full-time and part-time staff and undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral, and medical students. Individuals/team members must be current U-M employees at the time of award selection. Temporary students and staff, and all faculty are excluded from nomination.
Eligible nominees must meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
- Excellence in Animal Welfare — The nominees should demonstrate, through their actions, concern and compassion for laboratory animals and be advocates for the welfare of animals involved in laboratory research.
- Excellence in Outreach and Education — The nominees should make specific and notable contributions to the education and/or mentorship of members of the animal research community and/or the general public in a manner that promotes the field of animal research.
- Excellence in Innovation and Collaboration — The nominees should engage in cross-disciplinary partnership to facilitate creative and data-driven refinement of research animal care and use practices.
For more information, including instructions on how to submit a nomination packet, please visit the Animal Care & Use Program's InfoReady Review page. If you have additional questions, please contact ULAM-Animal-Care-Excellence-Award@umich.edu.