Adjunct Faculty Member, Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM)
Dr. Villano's laboratory animal experience was developed in Singapore where he worked as a clinical veterinarian for Singapore General Hospital, the first institution in the country to be accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC). Thereafter, he completed his residency in Comparative Medicine at Penn State (Hershey Medical Center) and worked at the University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston) as a clinical veterinarian before joining the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM) in 2013.
Dr. Villano is an active member of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM), Association of Primate Veterinarians (APV), and the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS).
Dr. Villano's clinical and research interests include infectious disease, rodent colony health, nonhuman primate medicine, training and education, husbandry, occupational health and safety, and facility management.
- DVM, University of the Philippines College of Veterinary Medicine
- MS, (Laboratory Animal Medicine), Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
- MSc, (Biomedical Engineering), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Villano JS, Fann MK, Suckow CE, Cooper TK. 2014. Diagnostic Exercise: Metastatic calcification in guinea pigs. Vet Path. Available online at http://vet.sagepub.com.
- Smith DG, Ng J, George D, Trask JS, Houghton P, Singh B, Villano JS, Kanthaswamy S. 2014. Genetic Comparison of two Alleged Subspecies of Cynomolgus Macaques (Macaca fascicularis) in the Philippines. Am J Phys Anthropol 155:136-148.
- Villano JS, Fang R, Cooper TK. 2014. Bacterial infections in Myd88-deficient mice. Comparative Medicine 64(2):110-114.
- Gettayacamin M, Grant R, Winoto IL, Sajuthi D, Paramastri YA, Khoo JD, Chatikavanij P, Villano JS, Mutalib AR. 2013. Chapter 11: Laws, Regulations, Guidelines and Principles Pertaining to Laboratory Animals in Southeast Asia. In Laboratory Animals: Regulations and Recommendations for Global Collaborative Research, Guillen J. ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Villano JS, Cooper TK. 2013. Mandibular fracture and necrotizing sialometaplasia in a rabbit. Comparative Medicine 63(1):67-70.
- Villano JS, Sharp PE. 2012. The Laboratory Rat 2nd edition (A Volume in the Laboratory Animal Pocket Series). CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL.
- Villano JS, Boehm CA, Carney EL, Cooper TK. 2012. Complications of Elastase- and Collagenase-Induced Arterial Saccular Aneurysm in Rabbits: Case Reports and Literature Review. Comparative Medicine 62(6):480-486.
- Lai CM, Estcourt MJ, Himbeck RP, Lee SY, Yew-San Yeo I, Luu C, Loh BK, Lee MW, Barathi A, Villano J, et al. 2012. Preclinical safety evaluation of subretinal AAV2.sFlt-1 in non-human primates. Gene Therapy 19(10):999-1009.
- Villano JS, Ogden BE, Young PP, Lood NM, Sharp PE. 2009. Morphometrics and Pelage Characterization of Longtail Macaques (Macaca fascicularis) from Pulau Bintan, Indonesia; Singapore and Southern Vietnam. J American Assoc for Lab Animal Sci 48(6):727-733.
- Villano JS, Ogden BE, Goh A, Hui LS, Chow PKH. 2008. Brain abscess in a cynomolgus macaque (Macaca fascicularis). J Med Primatol 37 (s1): 82-87.