The Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) will begin its next round of semi-annual facility inspections on Tuesday, August 4, 2020. Inspections will run through mid-September and include any animal rooms, surgical suite support spaces, and areas where procedures are conducted on animals.
We recognize that this round of inspections will overlap with the upcoming AAALAC 2020 Site Visit and apologize for any inconvenience or added burden this may place on your lab. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we navigate these busy few months together, your partnership and support are greatly appreciated.
Inspection Notifications & Reminders
Inspection schedules and reminders will be sent to each PI/Study Team member based on the buildings/rooms they are assigned to as outlined on animal use protocol(s) in eRAM. Inspection notices and reminders are automatically sent by eRAM at 2-week and 4-day intervals leading up to the assigned inspection date.
When reviewing the schedule, please note that all facility inspections, including lab visits, will start as early as 8:30 AM.
Each ULAM-focused inspection will begin in SPF animal housing areas, though this may be altered if there are contaminations.
The following also applies:
- For inspections with a ULAM focus, only ULAM husbandry supervisors need to be present
- For inspections with a lab focus, having a lab representative present who is knowledgeable
about the pertinent animal use is strongly recommended
- During facility inspections, inspectors must be provided access to locked cabinets, drawers,
and storage areas that store drugs and medical materials
Preparation Tools & Resources
We strongly encourage you to review the following tools and resources with your staff to help prepare for inspections:
- Are You Inspection Ready? Checklist (PDF download)
- Aquatics Facilities Checklist (PDF download)
- Lessons Learned from Spring 2020 Semi-Annual Facility Inspections (newsletter article)
- AAALAC Trends Data Review (newsletter article)
Questions or concerns about semi-annual inspections, or the upcoming AAALAC Site Visit, should be directed to the Animal Care & Use Office at email@example.com.