The Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) recently approved a new Tumor Burden Policy for Rodents. With substantial input from the Animal Care & Use Faculty Advocacy Committee (ACU-FAC), the new policy aims to:
- Reduce the laboratory burden associated with tumors,
- Eliminate the need to maintain tumor monitoring records in the animal room, and
- Provide standard tumor endpoints for mice and rats with externally visible tumors that allow for flexibility if scientifically needed.
Please review the full Tumor Burden Policy for Rodents for complete details, including important changes to animal room procedures.
Understanding that this new policy will impact laboratories in a number of ways, members of the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM) and the Animal Care & Use Office (ACUO) will be hosting two informational sessions to answer questions and provide guidance on the new policy.
Principal Investigators and laboratory staff are both invited to attend. No RSVP required.
- If you have additional questions or concerns about how this new policy may impact your research,
please contact your ULAM Faculty Veterinarian or Research Compliance Associate.
- If you don’t know your faculty veterinarian, send an email to email@example.com
and your question will be routed appropriately.