Clinical Associate Professor, Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM)
Dr. Bergin has dual board-certification in laboratory animal medicine and veterinary pathology. She joined the ULAM faculty in December of 2008 and holds a dual diagnostic service and research position. Dr. Bergin is part of the IVAC Pathology team within ULAM and also teaches Toxicologic Pathology (EHS616/717) in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences in the School of Public Health.
Dr. Bergin’s principal interests are in toxicologic pathology and infectious diseases, particularly in mucosal systems such as the gastrointestinal and reproductive tracts. Previous or ongoing projects include Helicobacter pylori gastric carcinogenesis in a Mongolian gerbil model, mouse models of Clostridium difficile colitis, reproductive tract pathology in non-human primate and rodent models, and evaluation of the effects of dietary metals on inflammatory/carcinogenesis pathways in the gut.
She welcomes collaborative inquiries from investigators needing research pathology support, particularly in the areas of gastrointestinal and reproductive animal models of human disease.
- BS (Biochemistry and Animal Science), University of Massachusetts/Amherst
- MS (Toxicology), Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- VMD (Veterinary Medicine), University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathology
- Bergin IL, Bell JD, Chen Z, Zochowski MK, Chai D, Schmidt K, Culmer DL, Aronoff DM, Patton DL, Mwenda J, Wood CE, Burk RD. Novel genital Alphapapillomaviruses associated with cervical dysplasia in baboons (Papio hamadryas anubis). Veterinary Pathology, 50(1):200-208, 2013.
- Shuster KA, Hish GA, Selles LA, Chowdhury MA, Wiggins, RC, Dysko RC, Bergin IL. Naturally occurring disseminated Group B Streptococcus infections in postnatal rats. Comparative Medicine In Press, 2013.
- Bell JD, Bergin IL, Natavio MF, Jibrel F, Zochowski MK, Weadock WJ, Swanson SD, Aronoff DM, Patton DL. Feasibility of LNG-IUS in a baboon model. Contraception. 87(3):380-4. 2013.
- Reeves AE, Koenigsknecht MJ, Bergin IL, Young VB. Suppression of Clostridium difficile in the gastrointestinal tracts of germfree mice inoculated with a murine isolate from the family Lachnospiraceae. Infect. Immun. 80:3786-3794. 2012.
- Aslam MN, Bergin I, Naik M, Hampton A, Paruchuri T, Dame MK, Rush HG, Varani J. A multi-mineral natural product from marine algae prevents colon polyp formation in healthy normal mice. Nutrition and Cancer: an international journal. 64(7):1020-8, 2012.
- Hampton AL, Dyson MC, Bergin IL. Pathology in practice. J Am Vet Med Assoc. Jun 1; 240(11):1293-5, 2012.
- Aronoff DM, Bergin IL, Lewis C, Goel D, O’Brien E, Peters-Golden M, Mancuso P. E-prostanoid 2 receptor signaling suppresses lung innate immunity against Streptococcus pneumoniae. Prostaglandins and other lipid mediat, May; 98(1-2):23-30. Epub 2012 Apr 2, 2012.
- Shuster KA, Brock KL, Dysko RC, DiRita VJ, Bergin IL. Polytetrafluoroethylene toxicosis in recently hatched chickens (Gallus domesticus). Comparative Medicine. Feb;62(1):49-52, 2012.
- Aslam MN, Bergin I, Naik M, Hampton A, Allen R, Kunkel SL, Rush H, Varani J. A multi-mineral natural product inhibits liver tumor formation in C57Bl/6 mice. Biological Trace Elements Research. 2012 Jan 6. 147:267-274, 2012.
- Shuster KA, Nemzek-Hamlin JA, Baker NK, Bergin IL, Nowland MH. Theriogenology question of the month: endometrioma. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 240(2):151-3, 2012.
- Hampton AL, Colby LA, Bergin IL. Facial paralysis and lymphocytic facial neuritis in a rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta) positive for simian retrovirus type D2. Comparative Medicine. 61(6):538-545, 2011.
- Bell JD, Bergin IL, Harris LH, Chai D, Mullei I, Mwenda J, Dalton VK, Vahratian A, Lebar W, Zochowski MK, Kiulia N, Aronoff DM, Patton DL. The effects of a single cervical inoculation of Chlamydia trachomatis on the female reproductive tract of the baboon. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 204(9):1305-12, 2011. PMCID: PMC3160047
- Bell JD, Bergin IL, Schmidt K, Zochowski MK, Aronoff DM, Patton DL. Nonhuman primate models used to study pelvic inflammatory disease caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. Infectious Diseases & Obstetric Gynecology. 2011; 2011:675360. Epub Aug 17.
- Theriot CM, Koumpouras CC, Carlson PE, Bergin IL, Aronoff DM, Young VB. Cefoperazone-treated mice as an experimental platform to assess virulence of Clostridium difficile strains. Gut microbes. 2011 Nov –Dec;1; 2(6):326-34. PMCID 3337121
- Cotroneo TM, Colby LA, Bergin IL. Hemophagocytic syndrome in a pancytopenic simian retrovirus-infected male rhesus macaque. Veterinary Pathology. 2011 Feb. (Epub ahead of print).
- Reeves AE, Theriot CM, Bergin IL, Huffnagle GB, Schloss PD, Young VB. The interplay between microbiome dynamics and pathogen dynamics in a murine model of Clostridium difficile infection. Gut microbes. 2(3):145-58. 2011.
- Carter GP, Awad MM, Hao Y, Thelen T, Bergin IL, Howarth PM, Seemann T, Rood JI, Aronoff DM, Lyras D. TcsL is an essential virulence factor in Clostridium sordellii ATCC8714, Infection and Immunity. 79(3):1025-32, 2011.
- Smedley RC, Spangler WL, Esplin DG, Kitchell BE, Bergman PJ, Ho HY, Bergin IL, Kiupel M. Prognostic markers for canine melanocytic neoplasms: comparative review of the literature and goals for future investigations. Veterinary Pathology. 48(1):54-72, 2011.
- Bergin IL, Smedley RC, Esplin DG, Spangler WS, Kiupel M. Prognostic evaluation and identification of a Ki67 threshold value in canine oral melanoma. Veterinary Pathology. 48(1):41-53, 2011.
- Rojas-Pena A, Koch KI, Heitner DH, Hall CM, Bergin IL, Cook KE. Quantification of thermal spread and burst pressure during endoscopic vessel harvesting (EVH): a comparison of two commercially available devices. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 142(1):203-8. 2011.
- Eaton KA, Opp JS, Gray BM, Bergin IL, Young VB. Ulcerative typhlocolitis associated with Helicobacter mastomyrinus in telomerase-deficient mice. Veterinary Pathology. 48(3):713-25. 2010.7.
- Bergin IL, Wise AG, Bolin SR, Mullaney TP, Kiupel M, Maes RK. Novel calicivirus identified in rabbits, Michigan USA. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 15(12):1955-1962. 2009.
- Bergin IL, Campbell B, Agnew DW. Ependymal cyst in a cynomolgus macaque (Macaca fascicularis). J Med Primatol, 37(5):239-244, 2008.
- Bergin IL, Taylor NS, Nambiar PR, Fox JG. Eradication of enteric Helicobacters in Mongolian gerbils is complicated by the occurrence of Clostridium difficile enterotoxemia. Comparative Medicine, 55(3):265-268, 2005.
- Bergin IL, Sheppard BJ, Fox JG. Helicobacter pylori infection and high dietary salt independently induce atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia in commercially available outbreed Mongolian gerbils. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 48(3):475-485, 2003.
- Schaefer D, Martin I, Jundt G, Seidel J, Heberer M, Grodzinsky A, Bergin I, Vunjak-Novakovic G, Freed L. Tissue-engineered composites for the repair of large osteochondral defects. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 46(9):2524-2534, 2002.
- Bergin IL, Fox JG. Animal models of Helicobacter pylori infection. In Helicobacter pylori infection and immunity. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Press, 2002
- Bergin IL, Chien C-C, Marini RP, Fox JG. Isolation and characterization of Corynebacterium ulcerans from cephalic implants in macaques. Comparative Medicine, 50(5):530-535, 2000.