Established in 2004, the germ-free mouse facility, part of the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, provides services to the entire University of Michigan community and can also ship germ-free mice to locations worldwide.
Primary and collaborative research projects include studies investigating inflammatory bowel disease and cancer, host microbiome interactions, infectious disease pathogenesis, and mammalian and bacterial metabolism, among others. The staff also performs research and training in gnotobiotic technology and methods.
A complete list of recent publications that include U-M’s Germ-Free Mouse Facility can be found on PubMed.
Users must have an approved animal use protocol from the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee prior to utilizing Germ-Free Mouse Facility services and facilities.
Mice can be used in our facility or shipped to other facilities in germ-free shipping containers.
Available strains include:
- Swiss-Webster (outbred)
- IL-10 knockout (B6.129P2-Il10tm1Cgn/J)
- RAG-I knockout (B6.129S7-Rag1tm1Mom/J)
- Others may be available upon request
Several varieties of germ-free and barrier housing are available:
- Trexler-type soft-sided isolators can be used for breeding colonies and long-term germ-free or gnotobiotic housing
- Microisolator cages can be kept sterile in biosafety cabinets for short-term experiments
- Individual Isocages ® (Techniplast) can maintain germ-free or gnotobiotic conditions for long-term experiments
- Inoculation (oral and parenteral)
- Sample collections, including:
- Body weights
- Necropsy and tissue collection
- Technical consultation
- Other services may be available on request
- Re-derivation of new germ-free strains
- Experimental design
- Pathology services
- Histologic interpretation
Contract services may also be available.
Please contact Germ-Free Mouse Facility Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with specific inquiries.
Facilities and associated services are offered on a fee-for-service basis. Users are charged for all supplies, technical assistance, and equipment used. Estimates are available upon request.
Germ-Free Animal Procurement Rates
|C57Bl/6 Germ-Free Mice (per animal)||$ 65.64||06/30/2015|
|Swiss-Webster Germ-Free Mice (per animal)||$ 52.51||06/30/2015|
|IL-10KO Germ-Free Mice (per animal)||$ 65.64||06/30/2015|
|Rag1KO Germ-Free Mice (per animal)||$ 65.64||06/30/2015|
Germ-Free Service Rates
|5-pack fecal kit||$ 15.58||06/30/2015|
|10-pack fecal kit||$ 16.97||06/30/2015|
|5-pack serum submandibular collection kit||$ 18.35||06/30/2015|
|10-pack serum submandibular collection kit||$ 21.67||06/30/2015|
|5-pack whole blood submandibular collection kit||$ 18.19||06/30/2015|
|10-pack whole blood submandibular collection kit||$ 21.36||06/30/2015|
|Injection kit||$ 15.15||06/30/2015|
|Germ-Free per diem (per care day)||$ 5.59||06/30/2015|
|Germ-Free shipper||$ 704.55||06/30/2015|
|Gas sterilization - small||$ 15.80||06/30/2015|
|Gas sterilization - medium||$ 16.75||06/30/2015|
|Gas sterilization - large||$ 22.56||06/30/2015|
|Sterile mouse box transport kit||$ 15.85||06/30/2015|
|Oral gavage w/ feeding needle kit||$ 20.65||06/30/2015|
|Port entry/exit||$ 30.67||06/30/2015|
* Rates subject to change.