Interim Attending Veterinarian, University of Michigan
Melissa Dyson, DVM, MS, DACLAM is the University of Michigan's Interim Attending Veterinarian (AV) and the Interim Director of the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM). In these dual roles, she is responsible for the health and well-being of all laboratory animals used at the institution, and oversees husbandry, housing, veterinary care, and practices for utilization of animals in research programs across the main University of Michigan campus, and at both U-M's satellite campuses in Dearborn and Flint.
Prior to being named Interim AV/Director of ULAM, Dr. Dyson served as the Associate Director of ULAM and as U-M’s Associate Attending Veterinarian for Training Services. She first joined the University of Michigan in 2005 after completing a residency in Comparative Medicine at the University of Missouri in conjunction with the Research Animal Diagnostic Laboratories (RADIL). Dr. Dyson received her veterinary degree from the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Dyson's clinical and research interests include laboratory animal medicine management and infectious disease. She is also interested in training research personnel in humane use and handling of animals used for research, as well as the training of future laboratory animal scientists and clinicians.
- BS (Biology), University of Tennessee
- DVM, University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- MS, (Biomedical Sciences), University of Missouri
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Yu S, Maiti PK, Dyson MC, Jain R, Braley-Mullen H. B-cell-deficient NOD-H-2h4 mice have CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells that inhibit the development of spontaneous thyroiditis. The Journal of Experimental Medicine. 203(2):349-58, 2006.
- Dyson M.C., A. Mokelke, J. Vucheitich, M. Sturek. Components of metabolic syndrome and coronary artery disease in female Ossabaw swine fed excess atherogenic diet. Comparative Medicine 56(1):35-45, 2006.
- Gudjonsson JE, Johnston A, Dyson MC, Valdimarsson H, Elder JT. Mouse models of psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 127(6):1292-308, 2007.
- Duran-Struuck R, Hartigan A, Clouthier SG, Dyson MC, Lowler K, Gatza E, Tawara I, Toubai T, Weisiger E, Hugunin K, Reddy P, Wilkinson JE. Differential susceptibility of C57BL/6NCr and B6.Cg-Ptprca mice to commensal bacteria after whole body irradiation in translational bone marrow transplant studies. Journal of Translational Medicine. 6:10, 2008.
- Dyson MC, Eaton KA, Chang C. Helicobacter spp. Identified in Wild Mice (Peromyscus leucopus) Found in Laboratory Animal Facilities. JAALAS. 48(6):754-756, 2009.
- Dyson MC. Management of an outbreak of rat theilovirus. Lab Animal 39(5):155-157, 2010.
- Wolforth J, Dyson MC. Flushing induction chambers used for rodent anesthesia to reduce waste anesthetic gas. Lab Animal 40(3), 2011.
- Hampton A, Dyson MC, Bergin I. Pathology in Practice. JAVMA, 2012 in press.
- Dyson MC, Rush HG. Comprehensive institutional training programs for research animal care and use personnel designed and provided by laboratory animal veterinarians. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 39(2):160-168, 2012.