In order to ensure the highest levels of excellence and care in research and in practice, a dedicated team of veterinary staff, including licensed veterinarians and veterinary technicians who specialize in laboratory animal medicine, conduct daily observations of all animals in University facilities.
When an animal is reported ill to the veterinary staff, a veterinarian or veterinary technician examines the animal, usually the same day the call is received. Based on the results of the physical examination and any necessary laboratory tests, a clinical diagnosis is made.
Except in cases of emergency, the diagnosis, prognosis, possible impact of the condition, and possible treatment/management options will be reviewed with the Principal Investigator or designated laboratory contact prior to initiating treatment.
Veterinary Care Consultation
ULAM veterinarians are available to consult on a variety of matters pertaining to animal care and use.
Topics may include:
- IACUC animal use protocol preparation
- Animal models of human disease
- Animal-related research techniques, including possible refinements
- Anesthesia and analgesia
- Environmental enrichment and social housing
- Spontaneous and iatrogenic animal diseases
- Species specific behaviors and characteristics
- Health status of animals from various commercial sources
- The policies of granting and regulatory agencies pertaining to animal care and use
- Health certificates required for interstate and/or foreign shipment of animals
Research personnel can submit general questions to ULAM veterinarians at email@example.com.
Email inquiries should include:
- Name of person submitting inquiry
- Name of Principal Investigator
- Protocol Number
- If necessary, building and room number where animals are housed*
- Detailed information pertaining to the question
* This email should NOT be used to report ill or injured animals to veterinary staff. If you have an animal that requires immediate attention, please use the contact information located on the right sidebar to request veterinary care. Concerns about animal welfare that do NOT require immediate veterinary attention should be submitted via the Animal Concern Hotline.
Contact information for the veterinary faculty/residents assigned to your animal housing area is posted within the facility. During normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM), veterinary care may also be obtained by contacting the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM) at (734) 764-0277.
To obtain veterinary care after normal business hours on weekdays, please contact the U-M Division of Public Safety & Security at (734) 763-1131. They will alert the appropriate veterinarian, who will respond to your request.
For more information, including a contact sheet that can be printed and posted in your work area, view the Obtaining Veterinary Care Standard Operating Procedure.
A team of highly skilled veterinary technicians often serves as the first point of contact for veterinary care in U-M’s animal care and use facilities. In addition to providing clinical support, technicians are also available to assist study teams with a variety of procedures on a fee-for-service basis.
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Animal treatments for medical conditions
- Anesthetic machine certification and rental
- Surgical preparation
- Large animal anesthesia
- Large animal euthanasia
- Post-surgical monitoring and support
- Post-anesthetic monitoring
- Drug/compound dosing (gavage, injection) of large animals
- Large animal identification (tattooing, ear tagging, etc.)
- Rabbit immunization/blood collection
Members of the veterinary technician team are available seven days a week, including weekends and holidays. Special support services can be arranged by contacting the ULAM Veterinary Technician Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734) 936-1037.
|Veterinary Technician Labor Rate/Hour||$ 59.13||01/01/2019|
|Veterinary Technician Labor Rate/Hour Overtime||$ 88.70||01/01/2019|
|Gas Anesthesia Machine Rental||$ 34.80||01/01/2019|
|Gas Anesthesia Machine Rental – Overnight||$ 17.40||01/01/2019|
|Surgical Pack||$ 10.00||01/01/2019|
|Film Sheet Xray - Large||$ 4.13||01/01/2019|
|Film Sheet Xray - Medium||$ 2.68||01/01/2019|
|Film Sheet Xray - Small||$ 1.37||01/01/2019|
|Digital Xray||$ 1.00||01/01/2019|
* Rates subject to change.