Senior Associate Attending Veterinarian, University of Michigan
Melissa Dyson, DVM, MS, DACLAM is the University of Michigan's Senior Associate Attending Veterinarian, the Deputy Director of the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM), and the Director of the ULAM Training Core. In her role as Senior Associate Attending Veterinarian, Dr. Dyson assists with the guidance and oversight of the Animal Care & Use Program, including the exploration of new data-gathering and assessment strategies that support a culture of responsible research conduct. As the Deputy Director of ULAM, she assists in the overall management of the Unit, including animal husbandry, housing, veterinary care, and specialized research support services. Dr. Dyson also serves as the Director of the ULAM Training Core, where she is responsible for managing all animal care and use training and education programs at the University.
Dr. Dyson first joined the University of Michigan in 2005 after completing a residency in Comparative Medicine at the University of Missouri in conjunction with the Research Animal Diagnostic Laboratories (RADIL). She received her veterinary degree from the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Dyson's clinical and research interests include laboratory animal medicine management and infectious disease. She is also interested in training research personnel in the humane use and handling of animals used for research, as well as the training of future laboratory animal scientists and clinicians.
- DVM, University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- MS (Biomedical Sciences), University of Missouri
- BS (Biology), University of Tennessee
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Certified Professional in IACUC Administration (CPIA)
- Yu S, Maiti PK, Dyson MC, Jain R, Braley-Mullen H. B-cell-deficient NOD-H-2h4 mice have CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells that inhibit the development of spontaneous thyroiditis. The Journal of Experimental Medicine. 203(2):349-58, 2006.
- Dyson M.C., A. Mokelke, J. Vucheitich, M. Sturek. Components of metabolic syndrome and coronary artery disease in female Ossabaw swine fed excess atherogenic diet. Comparative Medicine 56(1):35-45, 2006.
- Gudjonsson JE, Johnston A, Dyson MC, Valdimarsson H, Elder JT. Mouse models of psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 127(6):1292-308, 2007.
- Duran-Struuck R, Hartigan A, Clouthier SG, Dyson MC, Lowler K, Gatza E, Tawara I, Toubai T, Weisiger E, Hugunin K, Reddy P, Wilkinson JE. Differential susceptibility of C57BL/6NCr and B6.Cg-Ptprca mice to commensal bacteria after whole body irradiation in translational bone marrow transplant studies. Journal of Translational Medicine. 6:10, 2008.
- Dyson MC, Eaton KA, Chang C. Helicobacter spp. Identified in Wild Mice (Peromyscus leucopus) Found in Laboratory Animal Facilities. JAALAS. 48(6):754-756, 2009.
- Dyson MC. Management of an outbreak of rat theilovirus. Lab Animal 39(5):155-157, 2010.
- Wolforth J, Dyson MC. Flushing induction chambers used for rodent anesthesia to reduce waste anesthetic gas. Lab Animal 40(3), 2011.
- Hampton A, Dyson MC, Bergin I. Pathology in Practice. JAVMA, 2012 in press.
- Dyson MC, Rush HG. Comprehensive institutional training programs for research animal care and use personnel designed and provided by laboratory animal veterinarians. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 39(2):160-168, 2012.