Associate Professor, Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM)
Dr. Lester received his veterinary degree from Colorado State University, where he also completed an anesthesia internship and received a Master of Clinical Science degree. He completed a residency in Comparative Medicine at the University of Michigan. In addition to his role as a Faculty Veterinarian in the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM), Dr. Lester is also the Director of the ULAM Veterinary Externship Program.
Dr. Lester's clinical and research interests include anesthesia and analgesia, vascular biology and anticoagulation, pharmacokinetic modeling, pharmaceutical compounding, and regualtory compliance.
- DVM, Colorado State University, 1998
- MS, Clinical Sciences, Colorado State University, 2000
- Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, 2011
- Lester PA, Moore RM, Shuster KA, Myers DD. Anesthesia and Analgesia. In “The Laboratory Rabbit, Guinea Pig, Hamster, and Other Rodents” Academic Press, London, 2012; p 32-56.
- Lester PA, Diaz JA, Shuster KA, Henke PK, Wakefield TW, Myers DD. Inflammation and Thrombosis: New Insights. Front Biosci (Schol Ed). 2012 Jan 1;4:620-38.
- Homan R, Hanselman JC, Bak-Mueller S, Washburn M, Lester P.A., Jensen HE, Pinkowsky SL, Castle C, Taylor B. Atherosclerosis in Octodon degus as a model for human disease. Atherosclerosis 212(1): 48-54, 2010.
- Lester, P.A. and Traynor, J.R. (2006). Comparison of the in vitro efficacy of mu, delta, kappa and ORL(1) receptor agonists and non-selective opioid agonists in dog brain membranes. Brain Res. 1073-1074: 290-6.
- Lester PA, Rush HG, Sigler R. Renal transitional cell carcinoma and choristoma in a degu (Octodon degus). Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 44(3): 41-4, 2005.
- Lester PA, Keller ET. The comparative biology of skeletal metastasis. Comparative Veterinary Oncology. 1(3): 131-139, 2003.
- Lester PA, Gaynor JS, et al. The sedative and behavioral effects of nalbuphine in dogs. Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 42(4): 27-31, 2003.
- Lester PA, Gaynor JS. Management of cancer pain. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 30(4): 951-66, ix., 2000.