Facilities & Systems Access

Researchers wear personal protective equipment while working in laboratoryBefore you can begin working with animals at the University of Michigan, you must obtain the appropriate credentials, which include training requirements and access to the appropriate facilities and systems.

At a minimum, you will need access to the following facilities and systems:

blue file folder iconeRAMThe U-M uses a web-based system called eResearch Animal Management (eRAM) for managing the submission, review, and approval of all applications/protocols involving the use of vertebrate animals.


blue training presentation with line graph iconOnline Learning SystemsIn order to complete your requisite training, you will need access to both Cornerstone Learning, which is used primarily for ULAM classes, and MyLinc, which is used for eRAM and information technology systems.


Blue key iconAnimal Housing AccessIn addition to the IACUC required training necessary to be listed on a protocol, the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine also requires that you complete specific training before receiving access to ULAM-managed animal housing areas.


Blue PPE gloves iconAnimal Handler Occupational Health & Safety ProgramAll faculty, staff, and students who:

  • Have direct contact with animals,
  • Have direct contact with non-sanitized animal caging or enclosures,
  • Have direct contact with non-fixed or non-sterilized animal tissues, fluids, or wastes, and/or
  • ​Provide service support to animal equipment, devices, or facilities

                             MUST be enrolled in this Program. For more information, visit our Animal Use & Occupational Safety page.


For general questions about facilities and systems access, please contact the Animal Care & Use Office at acuoffice@umich.edu or (734) 763-8028 and your question will be routed to the appropriate contact.