The University of Michigan uses a web-based system called eResearch Animal Management (eRAM) for managing the submission, review, and approval of all applications/protocols involving the use of vertebrate animals.
This system is also used for animal requisitions, invoicing, and census management. Anyone who submits and edits applications and protocols, works with animals on a protocol, or reviews applications for approval or funding uses eRAM.
In addition, anyone acquiring or transferring animals or managing shortcodes also uses the system. Although the system is maintained by the U-M Information & Technology Services (ITS) Team, the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee, and the Animal Care & Use Office use the system for all protocol-related communications.
How to Access eRAM
The Animal Care & Use Office can create eRAM accounts for new Principal Investigators. To request system access, please complete the eRAM Principal Investigator Authorization Request Form. Additional staff can only be added to eRAM protocols by the PI.
Due to regularly scheduled system maintenance, the eRAM system may be unavailable during the following times:
- Mondays, 5:00 AM – 6:00 AM
- Saturdays, 1:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Saturdays – Sundays, 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM
All staff who will be required to use eRAM as part of their animal care and use work are strongly encouraged to take training courses PRIOR to using the system.
- Questions or concerns about how to enter protocol information into eRAM should be directed to the Animal Care & Use Office at email@example.com or (734) 763-8028.
- For technical assistance, please contact the ITS Service Center at (734) 764-4357 between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM Monday through Friday, or email 4Help@umich.edu.