The goal of this awards program is to celebrate staff excellence in the humane care and use of animals in research within the University of Michigan (U-M) Animal Care & Use Program and the U-M animal research community.
This annual awards program is administered in the academic fall semester.
Two awards are distributed each year to one member of each of the following:
- U-M Animal Care & Use Program — including the Animal Care & Use Office and the Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine, and the
- U-M animal research community
Award recipients will be bestowed a commemorative plaque and $200.00 honorarium. Inaugural award winners will be announced prior to January 2020.
Criteria for Consideration
Eligible nominees must meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
Excellence in Animal Welfare —
Excellence in Outreach and Education —
Excellence in Innovation and Collaboration —
- Current U-M students (undergraduate or graduate) and staff with a minimum of one year of institutional service in animal care and/or use*
- Must be a current U-M employee at the time of award selection.
* Please note: this excludes AFSCME, temporary students and staff, and all faculty.
Nomination packets must include:
- Completed nomination form in UMMS Competition Space, which requires a narrative (minimum 250 words) describing, in reasonable detail, the nominee's contributions related to the elected criteria described above
- At least one, but not more than three, letters of support detailing the specific contributions of excellence made by the nominee. Letters of support must not be more than a single-typed page in length