To help keep the research community apprised of important updates and changes impacting animal care and use at the University of Michigan, ULAM Faculty Veterinarians hosted veterinary check-in meetings in November 2023.
If you were unable to attend a meeting and would like to learn more about what was discussed, meeting resources are now available to review and download.
Discussion topics included:
- Expectations for medical records for procedures and non-survival surgeries
- Minimum anesthesia monitoring expectations for rats and mice
- Reminders about proper use of drop jars for isoflurane anesthesia
- Drug expiration updates/Ethiqa updates
- Reminders on expiration dates and expectations for special diets
- Light timer updates from husbandry
Meeting slides, which include embedded hyperlinks for quick access to additional content, are available via U-M Dropbox (or paste animalcare.umich.edu/fall2023-ufc-resources into your web browser) using valid Level-1 U-M login credentials.
A 32-minute recording of one meeting is also available here. The recording will be available for viewing through January 16th, 2024.
|Introduction & Brief Overview
|ULAM Veterinary Teams Update
|Policy on Use, Storage and Expiration of Substances, Agents, and Medical Materials
|Drop jar isoflurane euthanasia
|Anesthesia Monitoring and Records
|Records for non-surgical & non-survival procedures
|Anesthesia monitoring expectations for mice and rats
|Dedicated Clothing vs PPE
|Importance of Lighting
|Lab Member Onboarding
|Single Housing Tabs
Please reach out to your facility's ULAM Faculty Veterinarian with additional questions or concerns about any of the topics above. A discussion with your veterinarian can also help optimize many different aspects of your research, including:
- Facility and/or project-specific questions
- Anesthesia protocols
- Proper analgesia
- Proper use of antibiotics or other adjunctive drugs
- Surgical techniques
If you don’t know your faculty veterinarian, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and your question will be routed appropriately.
Links marked with a lock icon can only be accessed using valid Level-1 U-M login credentials.