Quality Assurance Specialist, Animal Care & Use Office
Shalena joined the Animal Care & Use Office (ACUO) in May 2023 as a Quality Assurance (QA) Specialist. In this role, she is responsible for:
- Conducting QA visits with investigators to improve their compliance confidence,
- Assisting both PIs and laboratory staff with shepherding their animal use protocols through the eRAM system,
- Identifying impediments to the conduct of sound research, and
- Serving as an advocate and educational resource for the U-M research community.
Prior to joining the ACUO, Shalena served as an Animal Care Supervisor in the University of Michigan's Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine (ULAM) from 2015 to 2023 where she was responsible for daily operations of the animal vivarium.
Before becoming a supervisor, she worked as an Animal Technician for ULAM where she developed her animal husbandry and customer service skills. Prior to joining the University, she worked in a small animal veterinary clinic as a Veterinary Assistant and Office Manager for ten years.
- Laboratory Animal Technologist – American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, 2016
- Associate of Arts – Jackson College, 2007