Report Animal Concerns

Do You Know What to Do if the State of Michigan or DEA Show Up?

Controlled Substances Drugs

The State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) and the U.S. Department of Justice’s Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) may visit campus for announced site visits OR unannounced inspections of ANY DEA registrant and their lab(s).

LARA and DEA representatives MUST be escorted by a U-M Controlled Substance (CS) Monitor or alternate U-M compliance representative if visiting a U-M researcher in any U-M building. 

If an inspector shows up in your lab/facility claiming to be a representative from either of these groups, it is important that you take the following actions:

Picture of DEA agents conducting a facility inspection
  1. Ask for identification
  2. Contact the CS Monitor at (734) 764-2003. If no answer, page them by calling (734) 936-6266 and, at the prompt, enter pager #31685, then your call-back number
  3. Escort the inspectors to a conference room to wait for the CS Monitor or another U-M compliance representative to arrive
  4. If the inspectors are here to visit your research location, follow the more detailed steps outlined in the State of Michigan/DEA Inspection Guidelines document reviewed at each controlled substance monitoring visit

These steps are summarized in a PDF flyer that can be downloaded and printed for posting in your work area.

Have additional questions about using controlled substances in research?

Contact the CS Monitor at (734) 764-2003 or email (for non-urgent inquiries).

Remember, CS Monitoring Staff are here to provide you with the tools and resources necessary to conduct safe and responsible research with controlled substances.

Last updated: