Templates for the Rodent Surgery and Post-Operative Record (Notebook Size) and Rodent Surgery and Post-Operative Record by Cage have been recently updated to increase functionality and ease-of-use for research personnel.
Specific changes include:
- Revised the Rodent Surgery Record (Notebook Size) template to be consistent with the By Cage Record
- Modified column titles to be more descriptive for completion
- Further clarified coding of Animal Condition to ensure a qualitative and consistent assessment of an animal’s post-operative health status
To simplify recordkeeping requirements, templates are provided as fillable PDF documents that can be bookmarked, downloaded, and printed from the Animal Care A-Z website in both notebook (az.research.umich.edu/node/1509) and by cage (az.research.umich.edu/node/1510) sizes.
As an important reminder, the U-M Animal Care & Use Program requires a peri-operative record for each rodent cage that contains post-operative animals.
Detailed instructions on how to generate, maintain, and store animal records, including additional guidelines for specific record types (tumor monitoring, food and/or water restriction, post-operative, and more) can be found in the Guidelines on Medical Records for Investigative Personnel.
A Quick Reference Sheet: Avoiding Common Mistakes When Completing Surgical Records for Mice & Rats is also available for review.
- Questions or concerns about rodent surgical records, or maintenance of animal health records, should be directed to your ULAM Faculty Veterinarian. General, non-urgent inquires may also be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are interested in scheduling a training session for your lab or staff, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (734) 763-8039.
Links marked with a lock icon can only be accessed using valid Level-1 U-M login credentials.