The following SOPs and Guidelines have been updated as of Wednesday, December 6. For your convenience, a small summary outlining key changes to each document is included below:
- Guidelines on Anesthesia and Analgesia in Nonhuman Primates – The guidelines have undergone a substantial review in an effort to make the information within more clear and consistent. As a result: Drug types, dosages, and administration routes have been reviewed and adjusted (where needed) to remain current with appropriate veterinary standards
- End-Stage Illness Scoring System – This document has undergone a full content review, and the layout has been edited to enhance readability. Seven new resource documents have also been added to the Appendices section, including:
- ULAM Pain Assessments for Mice, Rats, and Rabbits
- End-Stage Illness Scoring Example
- End-Stage Illness Scoring Sheet
- Policy on Rodent Euthanasia via Carbon Dioxide Overdose AND Additional Information for Investigators and Staff Regarding Rodent Euthanasia via Carbon Dioxide Overdose – In an effort to consolidate information, the Policy on Rodent Euthanasia via Carbon Dioxide Overdose and associated resource document, have been retired and integrated with existing guidelines. All information pertaining to rat and mice euthanasia, including general procedures, primary and secondary methods, and carcass disposal can now be found in the Guidelines for Rats and Mice Euthanasia Procedures for Investigative Personnel.
- Policy on Management of Fighting and Fight Wounds in Mice – To help consolidate resources, this policy has been retired and integrated with existing guidelines. All procedures can now be found in the Guidelines on Mouse and Rat Breeding and Housing Management.
Questions or concerns about these or other animal care SOPs and guidelines should be directed to your ULAM Faculty Veterinarian. General questions can also be submitted to ULAM at email@example.com or (734) 764-0277.